Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Buckwheat Crepes

With all my visits to Chez Cora and Cacao 70, I've learnt that if there's one thing I love, it's a good crepe. I like the grainy texture of buckwheat crepes most of all, and I find that the woody taste contributes wonderfully to a good crepe. So I bought a pouch of buckwheat a couple of days ago, and sought to make my very own crepes.

My first attempt a couple of days ago was a dud. I had mixed the batter according to a recipe, heated up my frying pan, but when it came to making the first crepe, I realized just how hungry I was -- and dumped the whole bowl of batter into the pan. Oh, by the way, that batter was supposed to make 4 crepes.

Crepe or bread?
So, although delicious, my spinach-cheddar crepe was as thick as a slice of bread. However, the amazing taste brought back memories of chilly Tuesday mornings at Chez Cora among friends.

Today, I attempted to make crepes again! This time, I was just as hungry, but I have learned the virtue of patience. Although I didn't follow a recipe (I mixed milk, egg, buckwheat and flour until the batter was goopy enough), my intuition served me well! I made 3 beautiful crepes and one pancake I quickly gobbled down.

I also grilled a chicken breast and some eggplant slices, and spread them out on a crepe along with cheddar cheese and Sriracha sauce. Then I covered the whole thing with another crepe, and put it in an oven to warm up.





When the cheese had melted, I cut up some oranges to garnish, and added a generous dollop of hummus to the crepe, because hummus is the king of spreads and condiments.

Tada!
It was a fantastic dinner! Wonderful, thin crepes sandwiching tender chicken and soft, light eggplant, with melted cheese and the tang of sriracha. Yum! I would totally make this meal again!

Bear and Lele begging for some chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment