Friday, September 28, 2012

Chocolate and Crepes: Cacao 70

As I sip my mug of homemade hot chocolate, I can't help but remember my most recent trip to the famous Cacao 70. Okay, I am lying through my teeth -- I totally made my drink while reminiscing about that restaurant, and I already went once this week!

Often known as Montreal's only chocolate bar (which is a damn lie because helloooo, Juliette et Chocolat, anyone?), it is located on St-Catherine, close to the Atwater metro station. The decor is great, nice woody tones with a fresh and discreet atmosphere. It must be a good place to study, as every time I come here, someone is on a laptop with a table full of schoolwork, quietly sipping a hot chocolate. It is also a good place to hang out among friends!


Voilà, jars of wafers, biscotti and other goodies. Behind that counter is the open kitchen. And see all those bottles up on the shelf? For an extra kick in your crepe/fondue/drink.


Here is a bookshelf if you want to just relax with a hot drink or some ice cream 

The service here is good; the waiters are nice (and cute). I must note that the restaurant is small, so getting a waiter's attention is very easy. 

Now to the actual food! I wasn't hungry this time, so I just got one of their Vintage hot chocolates for 6.75$, with dark chocolate, my favorite!


It came as 1/3 of melted chocolate in a little cup, with a bottle of hot milk. Pour and stir till it's well metled, and you get...


Yummy! Just the right thickness and perfectly smooth. There was enough milk for 1 and 1/2 cups, and I thoroughly enjoyed every spoonful. It was a nice thing to try, but I wouldn't spend 6.75$ on milk and melted chocolate again.

J had A Glass of Ice Cold Milk, for 2.50$. He commented that it was not that cold. 


A different J ordered the Feel Good About Yourself pressed crepe for 12.75$. I have previously tried this crepe, and I remember being impressed! Stuffed with tomato, turkey, swiss cheese and mushrooms, it has the right dry-to-moist ratio, and comes with a salad. 


Here is my boyfriend M's order. The House Special crepe at 12.00$, stuffed with spinach, parsley, chicken, mayo and cheddar. He actually only ate half of it, donating the other half to me because I startedto get hungry after my hot chocolate. It was very good, I'd say even the best salty meal on their menu, since I have a profound love for spinach and grilled chicken. 

I also highly recommend their Choc-Nut Waffle (13.50$), the Strawberry & Cheesecake Crepe (13.50$), and their Grilled Tuna Sandwich (7.00$). Their chocolate pizzas are essentially thin pizza dough with melted chocolate slathered all over, so make sure you really love chocolate if you want to try that out. They also have fancy ice cream cups and speciality hot cocoa for 9.25$.

All in all, if you haven't been here yet, you must try it out!

2087 rue Ste-Catherine West
H3H 1M6
(514) 933-1688

Cacao 70 on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Nice place to read a some book or simply talk whit a hot cocoa and accompanied whit the House special and at the end try whit the special ice cream.

    ReplyDelete