Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Toronto: Milestones Bar & Grill

Over the weekend, I went to the Anime North convention at Toronto. On Friday, I got up at the ungodly hour of 4:00 AM to get ready and head for the bus that would take me and my friends to the con.  After getting on the bus at 7:00 AM, we slept, ate, and laughed our way through a six-hour ride, until we finally pulled in in front of our hotel. After touring around the convention centre and checking out some costumes, we decided to eat dinner at one of the nice-looking restaurants nearby.

Props to all the restaurants and fast-food joints that suffered through three days of serving hordes after hordes of anime geeks. More often than not, otakus were dressed up in fantastical costumes, with colourful hair and handmade weapon props. Thank you so much for having us all and patiently serving us with delicious food.

So on our first night, we went to Milestones Bar & Grill. As a group of seven, we had to split into two tables, which is really understandable, considering how immensely busy they were. No problem.

Honestly, cons are expensive events, and lots and lots of splurging typically happen. Anime, comics, and TV merchandise are sold by the ton, and artists also sell their independent work, such as prints and posters. With all this great stuff to buy, most geeks don't like to spend too much on food. We were dismayed to see the prices on the menu, with most dishes ranging from $17-$23, and that's not including the steaks. A bit on the high side. No fear, we did find some cheaper alternatives, that is to say, burgers!

The original burger is simple, topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle, and comes at a price of $11.99. For an additional dollar, you can add one of three topping combinations -- the Californian, the Four Cheese, and the American. Then you pick your side dish, garden salad or fries, which can also be upgraded to Caesar salad or yam fries for an additional dollar. Yeah. It was a bit much to take in, and it took us a while to figure it out.


The Californian burger ($12.99) looks pretty great. A nice thick patty, topped with avocado salsa, tomato, and double-smoked bacon, served on a sesame and poppy seed bun. The restaurant boasts of its house-made avocado salsa, but I didn't see anything to brag about. It tasted like someone just mashed an avocado with too much lemon juice. The bacon, on the other hand, was full of flavour and very crunchy, adding flair to every bite of the burger. The beef patty was quite the disappointment. The meat was mushy and lacked both flavour and texture, and was generally unpleasant to eat. Perhaps they didn't cook it for long enough. I just tried to focus on the vegetables and the bacon.

The garden salad side definitely fooled me. At first, I thought the green-white slices were avocado. Then, I thought they were green apple. It turns out it was actually peeled cucumbers, silly me. I asked for the dressing on the side, and I am glad I did. The waiter informed me that it was a lemon Chardonnay vinaigrette, and that sounded wonderful and light. In reality, it was very oily and didn't taste of anything. Maybe I should have gotten the Caesar salad.


M tried the Four Cheese burger ($12.99). It's topped with roasted garlic, and a blend of cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese, and feta. It made for one very tasty burger, and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to frequent this restaurant chain. Even the beef patty was well-cooked and delicious. Maybe mine was just an occasional flop. The curly fries on the side were okay. We found that they lacked that crisp you expect in curly fries, and that it was just like eating regular fries. Nothing spectacular.


Oh, and Y got a Milestones' Original Bellini ($6.99). It is quite pretty and tastes great, the perfect drink for a hot summer night. A refreshing slush of rum, peach liqueur, and white wine, topped with a bit of sangria. I should have gotten one too!

I think dinner here was okay. Since we only tried burgers, I can't be the judge of their other food. If I come to Anime North, I'd be willing to come again and try their other dishes. But I am definitely getting a bellini!

646 Dixon Rd,
Etobicoke, ON 
M9W 1J1
(416) 245-6262
http://www.milestonesrestaurants.com

Milestone's Grill & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment